Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My Dad

My father was a fantastic builder but also a gambler.... he built some extraordinary homes and managed to lose one... I was always closer to my father than my Mom. He got me. She never did but loved me anyway. When he was building a house he would take me over on Sunday and tell me it was my job to sweep the sawdust. I felt so important... then he would take me to Grammys and if she had baked a pie she would make me a cinnamon role out of excess pie dough and she would make my coffee.. 9/10 milk and a splash of coffee. When I got older and was getting married the first time he knew I had changed my mind and did not want to go through with it.
My Mother worried about what people would say.. we had had a shower and the invitations had been sent out... she was all about appearances. Not so my Dad... all the way down the aisle he kept saying... "let's get out of here... you don't want to do this... come on the country club is payed for... I'm not kidding... as long as everyone eats they won't care if you get married or not".. I just wish I had the courage of my convictions... but I wouldn't have my wonderful first son... and my two beautiful granddaughters... but I would have saved three years and countless money.. I could write a book about my Father... and maybe someday I will.

2 Comments:

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Hi Maunie, what a nice post. I think a book about your Dad sounds great! What might the title be?

mauniejames3 said...

The title would be..Daddy's grateful little girl..........