Saturday, August 23, 2008

LALLA

Lalla (1320-90) was born in a Kashmiri village near Srinagar in Northern India. She was married at an ealy age but was illtreated by her husband and in laws. Lalla left her husband's home to become a wandering ascetic. She composed hundreds of songs and sang them to other devotees and all who came to hear. An excerpt from one of her poems.

To memorize the scriptures is easy,
to live them is hard.
Faking sincerity is a learned skill
being sincere is a life long endeavor.

Look deep
words vanish
Joyous, silent,
The Awaken One finds the dreamer.........


I search for my Self
until I grow weary,
but no one, I know now,
reaches the hidden knowledge
by mere effort.

Give up that imaginary thought
that you cannot rise above desire
or fix your mind on the Self.
He is right next to you!
Do not look for Him far away.
My void merged in the pure Void!

g g g

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely and inspiring...You always make people feel better...you my friend are an inspiration to us all.

surjit singh said...

Many thanks Mauniejames3, for your words of appreciation.
God bless.