Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The family book club

When my cousin Laurea and I started the family book club, I wrote this poem


The family book club

A handful of women
sitting around the table
sipping tea
discussing books

wise women
bearing ideas as well as children
dispensing wisdom
aiding each other

from thirty to seventy
not a sarcastic voice
no testerone needed here
so much caring and admiration

the current book is discussed for moments
but love and solidarity is theirs forever
mostly descended from a mutual grandmother
but enhanced by overwhelming respect

solving problems, no petty jealousies
just delight in individual strengths
dynamic women
sitting around the table

sipping tea
discussing books
saving the world

(by Maureen Vellucci)

6 Comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

That's awesome, Maunie. My own book club meets tonight -- me and about seven women who have kids my age. I love this group!!

mauniejames3 said...

I think book clubs are wonderful...
ours was a family bookclub Laurea and I started about twelve years ago...I don't know if I can continue going, because my Aunt and cousin are both gone...but I will worry about that later...have a ball at yours Susan...

Mo and The Purries said...

"sipping tea
discussing books
saving the world"

What a great stanza!

*sigh*
I miss being in a book club.
I tried to start one online for The Mo Show on blog talk radio, but it just didn't go over.

My favorite book-club-book: The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

Hey look - it's my new entertainment blog "Captured By Gravity" in the Entrecard slot today!

mauniejames3 said...

Wow Mo.....thanks so much I really do appreciate any input from you...and...the secret life of bees is one of my very favorite books...how can a book club not go over..I do so love to read and of
course shutting me up is hard to do, so I love a good discussion, could we do a blog kind of book club?

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

OMGosh Maunie, this poem you wrote is amazing! Heartwarming and touching! Perhaps you will consider entering your poem in a Poetry contest one day. I don’t recommend poetry.com (spammers). Maybe a reputable magazine? Thank You for sharing this with us, Maunie :)

Hugs!

mauniejames3 said...

jeane michelle,
you all have the power to make me feel better...I don't know what I would do without your kind words...thanks so very much...I am doing a little better but I'm still up at 4:15 I need someone to hit me over the head...or something..your the sweetest and nicest person ever.......