Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The morning after the night before

We attended a St. Pat's party last night, right at the end of our street. It was a perfect Florida night, just cool enough. Except, all the year rounders had to wear sweaters or jackets along with their greenery to celebrate the holiday.
Of course, there was a keg of beer and almost everyone brought mixed drinks or wine, as well as a covered dish or desert. I'll bet there were well over a hundred people but we were sitting in folding chairs outside so no one felt crowded.
Irish music and other favorites played all night.. the decorations were wonderful and almost everyone got up to dance. Peter and Bunny... both 80... danced almost every set... it was so fantastic.... it was a great night for the Irish and everyone was an honorary Irishman last night.
Hubby made stuffed mushrooms.. under my expert help and they were a great hit... as usual there was much too much food and it seemed the more you ate, the more dishes seemed to appear.
Then it started to get rather drunk out... so I wanted to walk home... I'm not comfortable around people who drink too much and no matter what I drank it was impossible to get a moderate buzz on.. even though last night I tried.... but my beautiful and wonderful cousin died yesterday and the world seemed to stop for me.... I still don't believe it, she was so close to me, more like a sister.... When the band started playing Happy Days are here again... I just got up and started walking home.... Hubby followed but I really wish he had stayed... now I have to make my apologies to our friends who ran the party, but I am sure they will understand... but I don't.... and I just never will...........

5 Comments:

Ellen said...

Hi Maunie,

My thoughts are with you..
I can only try to imagine how you must have felt there after such a loss..
Though I personally am convinced that there is a reason for everything that happens in my life, I'm still have problems finding peace with the death of some close relatives..

Wishing you comfort, love and peace in this difficult time..

mauniejames3 said...

Hi Ellen.

Thanks so much for your very kind thoughts..I guess I am just refusing to believe it...we were so
close since we were children..we
grew up together walked to school
together..it seems so needless and
unnecessary....but I thank you for your comforting words.

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Our Dearest Maunie, I am sadden for you, the Family, on the loss of your wonderful Cousin. God often seems to call the best home to soon. Fortunately, your Cousin is now without pain, etc. However; here begins the hardest part for you all, which is healing - that only time can provide. Yet in the process we learn that love continues beyond the flesh and the Person is always with us in Spirit. Perhaps this is the reason for memories. When you are ready Maunie, maybe you would like to share some of those memories of your Cousin with us and some pictures. Meanwhile; I extend Hugs from the Universe to you and the Family.

Mo and The Purries said...

My condolences on your loss. I'm not sure I would have made it as far into the evening as you did.
Sending hugs,
mo

mauniejames3 said...

Hey Jeane Michelle and Mo..

Thank you so much for your good thoughts and wishes...it's 3:30 and I just can't get to sleep..such a large part of my life has changed in ways I can't even express...we are not going north for the service...I don't think I could face it..she was so young and smart with very young grandchildren...I just don't get it..and I don't think I ever will