Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Seven Things Meme

First LA Day tagged me for this puppy. She tagged my buddy Lisa Andel for it at the same time.

Lisa was well-behaved and did it. And then she tagged me for it again.

These cross-tags remind me of inbreeding somehow... something about it feels wrong...

At any rate, since I've already done it over at West of Mars (the link will take you right to it), I thought I'd come over here and have some fun so that YOU guys can get to know me as well. Here goes:

The Rules:
Link to the person who tagged you;
Leave a comment on their blog so that their readers can visit yours;
Post the rules on your blog;
Share 7 random and/or weird facts about yourself on your blog;
Tag 7 random people at the end of your post;
Include links to their blogs;
Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.


1. My name is Susan Helene Gottfried. Really. That's what my birth certificate says.

2. I hate to follow rules. Thus, I'm not following all the above rules. Keep reading to see how and where.

3. This rule aversion I've got often makes me feel like a VERY square peg in a world of round holes.

4. It also quite probably is the reason why I'm still an unpublished novelist. I don't write novels that fit nicely and conveniently into the niches that agents and editors want their books to fall into.

5. They call this good business. I call it other things, none of which are flattering, so I won't mention them.

6. Yes, it's hard at times to be the sharp edges in a soft, rounded world. But someone's got to do it, and why not someone like me, who does it well?

7. Yes, it would be easier to suck it up and write something that would fit nicely into the existing niches, but for one thing, it wouldn't be very good. And for another, isn't being true to yourself what it's all about? Isn't that more important? I mean, if my groupies get loud enough and even more demanding, I can always turn to (gasp!) self-publishing and prove I'm right and it's good to not fit into existing niches. Especially crowded ones.

8. Breaking the rules often pays off.

Tags... well, let's keep it simple. Any of my fellow Blue Ribbon Bloggers want to join in on the fun?

7 Comments:

Mo and The Purries said...

Ha - I love it that you have 8 things in your 7 Things Meme.
Thanks for sharing some information about yourself!
cheers,
Mo

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Told you I don't follow rules well!

Anonymous said...

Good for you..most of us don't follow rules very well..but your a good writer in spite of yourself and as so, you will be rewarded..
keep on writing..I know how much we all enjoy whatever you do..and the best of luck....you are going to be famous or informous..which ever you'd like....

Robin Lee Sardini said...

We love people who break out of the mold! Rules? What rules? Who wrote the rules? Love your style, Susan!

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Hi Susan! You are so funny, maybe you should place novels on the back burner and go into comedy; for real!

The only rule anyone should follow - rather round, square or somewhere in-between or outside those realms, is as you said, be "true to yourself".

I would join you in this fun meme, however; I was tagged with it some time ago and included the 7 meme random weird facts and tags in an award post titled, Amazing Meme :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

No wonder you guys wanted me here. I think I might actually fit in!

Jill said...

Susan, isn't twice enough??
And being tru to yourself is the most important thing in whatever you do!